New & Returning Students
New and returning students who have not taken a class within the San Mateo County Community College District for one or more years must complete the online admission application.
As part of completing the online admission application students identify an educational goal.
After you submit the online admission application:
- Print the confirmation page.
- Check your email (including the spam folder) for important information from CSM Admissions Office regarding your registration.
- Your email will include your student ID number and the next steps in the registration process.
- The email usually arrives within 1-2 hours of submitting the application, but may take up to one business day. Please note our Admissions and Records Office Hours of Operation. If you have not received the “Welcome to College of San Mateo” email, it may have gone to your email account’s spam folder. Also, please make sure you fully submitted the application. After you submit the application, you are taken to a confirmation page, which provides a confirmation number. Print the confirmation page for your records. For technical assistance with the online application, please contact OpenCCC at (877) 247-4836 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your educational goal determines how you proceed after Step 1.
Complete Steps 2-6 if on your admission application you indicated you are taking courses to:
Go directly to Step 5 if on your admission application you indicated you are taking courses to:
In order to register for Math, English or ESL courses, all students must complete Math and English or ESL Assessment.
For ESL Assessment:
Please schedule an Assessment Appointment with our Welcome Center/Assessment Services Staff. The staff at the Welcome Center will help you choose the best ESL Placement option for you.
Our placement options are:
- Option 1: Take the Accuplacer placement test and complete the Guided Self-Assessment process
- Option 2: Provide a TOEFL/IELTS score
If you have already successfully completed English and/or math courses at another college or university within the United States and are planning to enroll in an English or math course (or a course that has an English or math prerequisite), your previous coursework must be approved. Visit collegeofsanmateo.edu/prerequisites for more information on how to complete the Prerequisite Equivalency form.
Meet with a college counselor to review your educational interests and goals. The counselor will create with you a 1 or 2 semester abbreviated Student Educational Plan (SEP) to help you get started for your first semester. Please return within your first semester to complete a comprehensive SEP, which will let you know all of the courses that are needed to meet your goal.You can make a counseling appointment through your OneLogin portal. Choose Student Success Link! If you have any trouble, please contact Counseling Services for assistance.
Only through your my.smccd.edu email address do you receive important information from your professors and the college. It is essential that you make it a practice to check your my.smccd.edu email regularly.