CSM Assessment Services conducts the college assessment program which includes English, Reading, ESL, and Mathematics assessment components. These assessments are intended to measure skills which research has shown to be closely related to academic success. These multiple measurements represent student strengths and capabilities. Students are advised to discuss course placement results with a counselor so that they can assist with the development of a student educational plan (SEP).
For English as a Second Language or International Students
- Start with scheduling an Assessment and/or ESL Placement Test Appointment
- Information on CSM English as a Second Language Program - Introduction video to the ESL program at CSM
- Information on CSM Math Guided Self-Placement
- If necessary, email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
To update your English and/or Math Course Placement
- Start with the CSM English/Math Placement Request Form
If I am currently a high school student, how do I qualify?
Complete a Prerequisite Equivalency Form
If you have already successfully completed English and/or math courses at another college or university within the United States and are planning to enroll in an English or math course or a course that has an English or math prerequisite, then your previous coursework must be approved. Visit the Prerequisites page for more information and to obtain the CSM Prerequisite Equivalency Form.
Information Competency Requirement
College of San Mateo defines Information Competency based on the standards from the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC). Students with catalog rights beginning Fall 2010 must satisfy the Information Competency requirement prior to graduation. Learn more on our Information Competency at CSM page.