Skip to Main Content
Financial Aid Services

Types of Financial Aid


Net Price Calculator

This calculator is intended to provide estimated net price information to current and prospective students and their families based on what similar students paid in a previous year.

The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduate and certain postbaccalaureate students to promote access to postsecondary education. Students may use their grants at any one of approximately 5,400 participating postsecondary institutions. Grant amounts are dependent on: the student's expected family contribution (EFC) (see below); the cost of attendance (as determined by the institution); the student's enrollment status (full-time or part-time); and whether the student attends for a full academic year or less.

Students may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

Financial need is determined by the U.S. Department of Education using a standard formula, established by Congress, to evaluate the financial information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and to determine the family EFC. The fundamental elements in this standard formula are the student's income (and assets if the student is independent), the parents' income and assets (if the student is dependent), the family's household size, and the number of family members (excluding parents) attending postsecondary institutions. The EFC is the sum of: (1) a percentage of net income (remaining income after subtracting allowances for basic living expenses and taxes) and (2) a percentage of net assets (assets remaining after subtracting an asset protection allowance). Different assessment rates and allowances are used for dependent students, independent students without dependents, and independent students with dependents. After filing a FAFSA, the student receives a Student Aid Report (SAR), or the institution receives an Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR), which notifies the student if he or she is eligible for a Federal Pell Grant and provides the student's EFC.
A federal student aid program that provides part-time employment while the student is enrolled in school to help pay his or her education expenses. The student must seek out and apply for work-study jobs at his or her school. The student will be paid directly for the hours he or she works and the amount he or she earns cannot exceed the total amount awarded by the school for the award year. The availability of work-study jobs varies by school.
The California Dream Act allows undocumented and nonresident students (U.S. Citizens and eligible non-citizens) who qualify for a non-resident exemption under Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) to receive certain types of financial aid such as: private scholarships funded through public universities, state administered financial aid, university grants, community college fee waivers, and Cal Grants. In addition, the California Dream Act, allows eligible students to pay in-state tuition at any public institution.

Awarded to undergraduate students who have exceptional financial need and who have not earned a bachelor’s degree, graduate or professional degree.  Students who are Pell Grant recipients get priority.

How do I apply?

To get an FSEOG, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form so your college can determine how much financial need you have. The financial aid office will award FSEOGs to students that have the most financial need. The FSEOG does not need to be repaid, except under certain circumstances. Find out why you might have to repay all or part of a federal grant.

How much money can I get?

You can receive between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on your financial need, when you apply, the amount of other aid you get, and the availability of funds at your school. Each participating school receives a certain amount of FSEOG funds each year from the U.S. Department of Education’s office of Federal Student Aid. Once the full amount of the school’s FSEOG funds has been awarded to students, no more FSEOG awards can be made for that year. This system works differently from the Federal Pell Grant Program, which provides funds to every eligible student. So, make sure you apply for federal student aid as early as you can. Each school sets its own deadlines for campus-based funds. You can find a school’s deadline on its website or by asking someone in its financial aid office.

How will I be paid?

If you're eligible, your school will credit your student account, pay you directly, or combine these methods. Your school must disburse (pay out) funds at least once per term (semester, trimester, or quarter). Schools that do not use semesters, trimesters, or quarters must disburse funds at least twice per academic year.

The State of California offers a CCPG for students who are residents of the State of California and who are eligible for need-based financial aid. The CCPG pays your enrollment fees for the academic year once eligibility has been determined. Other fees, such as the health, materials, parking, student body, and student representation fees must be paid by you. Students with the CCPG are eligible for a reduced rate parking permit.

It is strongly recommended that you complete the FAFSA or CADAA for the CCPG program to see if you are eligible for additional financial assistance. CCPG-only applications are available online through WebSMART. You must be admitted to Cañada College, College of San Mateo, or Skyline College before you can access WebSMART. Eligibility for a CCPG may be determined under less strict dependency criteria than federal funding requires (example: a 19-year-old student who is unmarried and does not support anyone may be considered independent for the CCPG if s/he was not claimed on the parent’s federal income tax during the previous year and no longer lives with a parent).

There are Five Types of CCPG:

CCPG-A: If you are independent, to be eligible you must be currently receiving TANF, CALWORKS, General Assistance, or SSI/SSP, or if you are dependent, your parent(s) must be currently receiving any of these types of assistance. You are required to submit proof of benefits to the Financial Aid Office within 21 days of submitting your electronic application.

CCPG-B: To be eligible you must meet the State defined Income Limits. The 2020-2021 income standards listed on the left are based on income for the 2018 tax year. The 2021-2022 income standards are listed on the right and are based on 2019 income.

If you are independent, use your income (and spouse’s) only. If you are dependent, use your parents' income only.

Family Size Base Year Income
1 $21,870 or less
2 $29,580 or less
3 $37,290 or less
4 $45,000 or less
5 $52,710 or less
6 $60,420 or less
7 $68,130 or less
8 $75,840 or less
Each Additional Family Member $7,710

CCPG-D: If you are a homeless youth defined by Section 725 of the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, then you will be eligible for the fee waiver. You may be required to complete the Homeless Youth Certification Form and submit to either the Financial Aid Office or Admissions & Records Office.

“Homeless youth” means a student under 25 years of age, who has been verified homeless or at risk of homelessness at any time during the 24 months immediately preceding the receipt of his or her application for admission.

CCPG-C: Must demonstrate at least $1,104 of need by filing the FAFSA or CADAA for the appropriate aid year.
Note: EOPS requires students to be either CCPG-A or -B eligible, or after filing the FAFSA or CADAA have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of 0 to receive their services.

CCPG – Special Classification:

If you meet any of the following criteria, you may be eligible for a fee waiver under the Special Classification guidelines. Certification is provided by various agencies. Please contact your SMCCCD college Financial Aid Office for assistance:

  • Eligible dependent of deceased or disabled veteran
  • Recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor or dependent
  • Dependent of California National Guard
  • Dependent of victim of September 11, 2001 terrorist attack
  • Dependent of deceased California law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty
  • Students who have been exonerated

Apply for the online California College Promise Grant (CCPG) Fee Waiver in WebSMART.

Loss of CCPG and Priority Enrollment Regulation:

California College Promise Grant
Part-time and full-time students may qualify for the CCPG. The CCPG fee waiver will waive enrollment fees for the academic year. Other fees, such as parking, textbooks, student body and student representation fees will not be covered by the CCPG. Recent eligibility regulations went into effect as of the fall 2016 semester requiring all California community college students to meet minimum academic and progress standards and maintain eligibility for the CCPG (SB 1456 Student Success Act of 2012)

Students must:

  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 (Academic Standard)
  • Successfully complete more than 50% of all units attempted (Progress Standard)
If a student is placed on academic and/or progress probation for two consecutive primary terms (fall or spring semester), they will lose CCPG eligibility and priority enrollment. For more information on this regulation and the conditions by which students can appeal, please see California College Promise Grant and Priority Registration Policy. Students are encouraged to utilize the numerous support services on campus to help them regain good academic standing.
The Promise Scholars Program is a degree and certificate completion program. Its focus is on supporting students through the completion of their post-secondary pathways. We support the completion via a number of program engagement requirements, providing progress reports, meeting with your Promise counselor monthly, and engaging in additional Promise program support workshops. The program provides you with multi-year tuition support, individualized counseling support, textbook vouchers, and food and transportation incentives through the completion of your degree or certificate here at College of San Mateo.