To apply for Promise Scholars Program, please be sure you have completed the Admissions Application. You will be assigned a Student ID (G#), which you will need to fill out the application. Apply early, space is limited!
- Complete the FAFSA or Dream Act application.
- Complete the Promise Scholars Program Application by logging in to your WebSMART account.
- Then go to Student Services > District Promise Application > Promise Scholarship Program Application.
- Please see Steps to Apply for step by step instructions to our application via WebSMART
- Complete steps to register -- Orientation, Assessment, Counseling, Enroll in Classes.
To be eligible students must:
- Full-time first-time California resident student seeking a degree or certificate.
- Attend Promise Scholars Program Information Session and Orientation.
- Meet with your assigned Promise Scholars Counselor and participate in program activities at least once a month.
- Enroll full-time (minimum 12 units) during the academic year for the duration of the program
- Maintain academic progress and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Complete courses at a rate above 50% (Promise Scholars students must successfully complete and pass more than half of their courses in every semester they are part of the Promise Scholars Program)
- Declare a major within their first year at College of San Mateo
- Complete a comprehensive Student Educational Plan (SEP) their first year at College of San Mateo.
- Regularly meet with your assigned Promise Scholars Counselor
- Regularly participate in required Promise Scholars Program workshops, tutoring, and activities, as assigned.
Yes, students who completed Dual Enrollment classes are eligible to apply for Promise Scholars Program as long as they have graduated from high school, adult school, or earned a GED/HSE. You must complete a new application for Admissions indicating you will be committed to completion of a degree or certificate.
Students will be notified of acceptance starting in mid-April. Students are required to attend a Promise Scholars Information Session and Orientation throughout the Summer.
Students are required to complete the FAFSA or Dream Act Application. However, if a student is not eligible for financial aid from the FAFSA or Dream Act, they are still eligible to apply for the Promise Scholars Program.
The Promise Scholars Team works with each student individually to ensure they stay on track. Program requirement is to maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA. If you don’t pass your classes, your assigned Promise Scholars Counselor will work with you to identify a plan to move forward and reach your goals.Tutoring will be required.
Students should go directly to the College of San Mateo Bookstore to request their textbook voucher. Have your Student ID with you so that you can inform the bookstore staff that you are a Promise Scholars student.
Students who wish to join Promise Scholars Program are required to attend full-time. The program covers the full cost of your tuition and offers book assistance ($750/year).
A Social Security number is not required for program participation. Please contact our Financial Aid Office with any specific financial aid related questions at (650) 574-6146.
Your assigned Promise Scholars Counselor will work closely with you to create a plan to ensure you meet your goals.
For any immediate questions, please contact the Promise Scholars team at firstname.lastname@example.org.