The ESL Center offers virtual support now through December 2021.For assistance and questions, please contact us at (650) 574-6437 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also email us to schedule a Zoom meeting with an ESL Center staff member.
Welcome! Sharpen your ESL skills in a quiet and friendly environment.
In the ESL Center, you can fulfill the requirements of your ESL class or enroll in an independent, lab‑only course to improve your reading, vocabulary, listening and speaking, and/or writing skills.
- Develop your vocabulary
- Learn about and practice metacognition
- Improve your reading rate
- Deepen your comprehension of textbook material
- Practice pronunciation
- Practice conversation with ESL teachers and native and multilingual speakers
- Improve note-taking and listening skills
- Learn about grammar
- Practice and improve your writing skills
The ESL Center is staffed by instructors and instructional aides, so you can get personalized attention. Materials are provided to assist your instruction.
Each semester the ESL Center evaluates its need for student assistants. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of six units during the Spring and Fall semesters and three units during the Summer. For students receiving Federal Work Study funds, the six‑unit enrollment requirements do not apply. Students can expect to work 5-12 hours a week.
Student assistants are often the first to greet the Center's students and help them with check-in procedures. Consequently, assistants must:
- Possess strong people skills
- Be friendly, enthusiastic, respectful, good listeners, and effective communicators
- Be able to empathize with people of different ages, backgrounds, and abilities
- Exercise good judgment in various situations