Jeramy Wallace - CSM English Faculty
I teach English at College of San Mateo. I was first hired by CSM as an adjunct instructor in Fall 2011 and as a tenure-track professor in Fall 2013 (I received tenure in Fall 2017 and became a full professor in Fall 2022).
One of my favorite parts about teaching at CSM is my daily interactions with students and colleagues. I am passionate about sharing the power of writing and language not only in academia and the workforce but also in promoting social justice.
I have served in a variety of leadership roles, including as president of the CSM Academic Senate, as president of the San Mateo County Community Colleges District Academic Senate, and as the coordinator for the CSM Umoja Community.
I have written and presented widely on race, educational equity, and social justice in community colleges. My current research interests lie in critical storytelling and the role of race in the origins of community colleges.
I am a co-author of Minding the Obligation Gap: Striving for Equity in Community Colleges and Beyond (2020, Peter Lang) and The White Educators’ Guide to Equity: Teaching for Justice in Community Colleges (2023, Peter Lang) and author of The People’s Stories: Critical Storytelling for Social Justice (2023, Cognella).
I received my Master’s in English from Notre Dame de Namur University and my postsecondary teaching credentials from San Francisco State University. I reside in San Francisco, CA, where I enjoy being outdoors, writing, and spending time with my family.
- Bachelor of Science, Biology, Notre Dame de Namur University, Class of 2007
- Master of Arts, English Literature, Notre Dame de Namur University
- Certificates in the Teaching of Composition and Postsecondary Reading, San Francisco State University
- Hired by CSM in 2011, tenured in 2017
- Fellow, Stanford Human Rights Education Initiative, 2012-13
- CSM Professional Development Co-coordinator, 2013-14
- CSM Umoja Community Coordinator, 2014-2023
- President, CSM Academic Senate, 2017-19
- President, SMCCCD Academic Senate, 2019-2021
- Member, Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society
- Member, National Council of Teachers of English
- Wallace, Jeramy and Sims, Jeremiah J. The White Educator’s Guide to Equity: Teaching for Social Justice in Community Colleges. New York, NY: Peter Lang (2023).
- Wallace, Jeramy. The People’s Stories: Storytelling for Social Justice. San Diego, CA: Cognella (2023).
- Sims, Jeremiah J.; Taylor-Mendoza, Jennifer; Hotep, Lasana; Wallace, Jeramy; Conaway, Tabitha. Minding the Obligation Gap in Community Colleges: Theory and Practice in Achieving Educational Equity. New York, NY: Peter Lang (2020).