Course Reserves FAQ
- What are Course Reserves?
- What kinds of materials are in Course Reserves?
- Does the Library have the textbooks for my class?
- How can I find out if items for my class are On Reserve?
- How long can I check out items that are in Course Reserves?
- Are Distance Learning course materials available in Course Reserves?
What are Course Reserves?
Course Reserves are books and other items that are in high demand by students. Items in the Reserves Collection have limited borrowing times with high fines to make it possible for the most students to use the materials. You must be a SMCCD student, faculty, or staff to check out Course Reserve materials.
What kinds of materials are in Course Reserves?
- Generally the Library only has what instructors have placed on reserve for their students.
- CSM Library does not have all textbooks or other materials for all classes.
- If the book you need is not on reserve, you may ask your instructor to place a copy on reserve.
- If the material you need is not on reserve, you may ask one of our Referece Librarians to help you to try to locate an alternate source of the material, such as from another library, eBook, or from an online database.
- If the exact edition of the book you need is not on reserve, we may have older editions available. Ask your instructor if you may use other editions of your textbook.
- Go to the library website and select the Course Reserves search link. You can search for reserves by either the course name and number or by the instructor's name.
- Ask your instructor if they have placed items on reserve.
- Ask for reserve items at the Library Circulation Desk.
- Rules for borrowing materials on reserve are generally set by the course instructor.
- Borrowing limits generally range from 2-hour Library Use Only up to 3-days or more.
- Reserve items frequently have much higher late fees than items in the circulating collection.
- Reserve materials are first come, first served. Holds and renewals are not permitted for items that are on reserve.
- Yes. Distance Learning Instructors do place items on reserve. Ask your Distance Learning Instructor if they have placed items on reserve.
- Visit our Distace Education Resources page for a comprehensive introduction to CSM Library Services available to students participating in CSM's Distance Education programs.