The CSM Library is offering online course based information literacy instruction until further notice. Please click on the Request Library Instruction button below for more details.
College of San Mateo librarians offer instruction sessions introducing library and research skills. The ability to identify, analyze, and use information is fundamental to a successful career in higher education and in the workplace. Throughout their studies, students will conduct research and synthesize information. In addition to general skills, many disciplines require students to acquire specialized research skills.
Topics you may wish us to cover with your class or program include:
- Organization of the College of San Mateo Library
- Finding books, ebooks and other resources using the library catalog
- Finding articles or other scholarly content using our databases
- Finding authoritative, credible internet resources appropriate for use in college level research projects
- Research strategies, techniques, and evaluation of sources
- Citation formats and strategies for avoiding plagiarism
- Information competency requirement
Library instruction sessions are easy to schedule:
Contact Teresa Morris with questions or to schedule a session.
When scheduling a session, you will be asked to include the following details:
- The date and time you would like to schedule the orientation(s)
(two weeks advance notice is needed in most cases)
- Your contact details: phone number and email address
- Course number or program name
- Course title
- Number of students
- Any special requests, or special accommodations needed
- You will receive confirmation of the date and time of your scheduled instruction session.
- Plan to accompany your class to the instruction session.
Note: Instructors are required to accompany their class, due to minimum qualification requirements. If you are unable to attend the session, you may make arrangements with your Dean for a substitute instructor to attend in your place. If an instructor or substitute fails to accompany their class, we are required to cancel the session.
Library instruction sessions can be scheduled any time the library is open, and by special arrangement, after hours, when the library is closed.