The Learning Center offers CSM students free tutoring in a variety of subjects. This includes both individual and small-group tutorial sessions, led by students like you! Tutoring is available on an appointment and drop-in basis. Schedules for tutoring can be found below and inside the Learning Center at the entrance.
Once inside the center, check in at the front desk and then look for a table with a sign indicating the subject you are seeking. At the table you will see the tutor, who can be identified with a name badge. Sit down at the table and let the tutor know you would like some help. Please have your assignment, textbook, notes, and any other necessary materials with you so that the tutor can assist you appropriately.
After your tutoring session, please take a moment to fill out the Evaluation of Tutoring Session Form.
- Students must complete the College of San Mateo Learning Center Tutoring Authorization Form and be registered in LCTR 698 (0 units) prior to receiving tutoring. Forms are available in the Learning Center (College Center Building 10, Room 220).
- Students may receive two hours of free tutoring per subject per week.
- Appointments must be made twenty-four hours in advance.
- To cancel, call (650) 574-6570; two (2) no-shows may result in you being denied tutoring.
Requirements for becoming a peer tutor
- Meet with the Learning Center Director, Jennifer Mendoza. Call to schedule an appointment.
- Obtain a CSM instructor’s recommendation to tutor in the subject area of interest.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units at College of San Mateo
- Enroll in LCTR 100 Effective Tutoring.
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA in the course(s) you wish to tutor.
- Math tutoring hours begin January 21, 2014
- Drop-in hours (no appointment required, maximum 30 minute sessions)
- Appointment hours (please log in to WebSMART and select "Schedule Appointments" (under Student Services).
Then select "College of San Mateo – Learning Center Tutoring Appointment" and submit your request.)