The Learning Center offers CSM students free tutoring in a variety of subjects. This includes both individual and small-group tutorial sessions, led by students like you! Tutoring is available on drop-in basis. Schedules for tutoring can be found below and inside the Learning Center at the entrance.
Once inside the center, check in at the front desk and then look for a table with a sign indicating the subject you are seeking. At the table you will see the tutor, who can be identified with a name badge. Sit down at the table and let the tutor know you would like some help. Please have your assignment, textbook, notes, and any other necessary materials with you so that the tutor can assist you appropriately.
Students can check the number of hours they have in all labs and centers on campus through WebSMART.
Schedule of Tutor Availability for Semester
- Drop in hours for all subjects begins on June 13, 2016.
After your tutoring session, please take a moment to fill out the Evaluation of Tutoring Session Form.
Online Tutor Availability through NetTutor
Students can now access online tutoring services through NetTutor for no charge! This new tutoring service is currently available in the following subjects:
- Intro to Philosophy
- Prin. of Microeconomics
- Prin. of Macroeconomics
The hours that the online tutors are available varies by subject so be sure to check. You can access the online tutors by first enrolling in LCTR 698 then using the Canvas portal to access NetTutor. Additional information and assistance accessing online tutoring services is available through the Learning Center, College Center (Building 10, Room 220).
- In order to receive tutoring support students must register for LCTR 698 each semester. Students can register directly through WebSMART at any time during the semester or by completing the Tutoring Authorization Form prior in the Learning Center (College Center Building 10, Room 220).
- Students may receive two hours of free tutoring per subject per week.
Requirements for becoming a peer tutor
If you meet the below requirements and are interested in working as a tutor, please complete the Learning Center Peer Academic Tutor application and Tutor Recommendation form and return both to a staff person in the Learning Center.
- Have at least a 3.0 overall GPA
- Have at least a B in the course(s) you wish to tutor.
- Complete a Tutor Application form
- Obtain a CSM instructor’s recommendation to tutor in the subject area of interest.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units at College of San Mateo
- Meet with the Learning Center Manager, Ron Andrade.
- Enroll in and successfully complete LCTR 100 Effective Tutoring.