10 Tips for Successful Transferring
- Complete Math and English transfer requirements as soon as possible.
(See placement testing dates)
- Follow the CSU-GE or IGETC general education transfer requirements.
(See IGETC/CSU GE sheets)
- In addition to general education transfer requirements, complete transfer requirements
for your major. (Visit www.assist.org for major preparation information.)
- Meet with your College of San Mateo counselor once a semester. Requirements change regularly so
it’s important for you to be updated with the changes.
- Attend Workshops/Transfer Events - meet with your university representative.
- If possible, visit the campus of the 4-year college/university you are interested in attending.
The more time spent preparing yourself to transfer, the more you will learn about the college
and major best suited for you.
- Apply to more than one school. Many colleges/universities do not admit all transfer applicants.
Make sure you have a "back-up" in the event you are not admitted to your "first-choice" campus.
- Important Deadlines!!! Apply during the priority filing periods:
California State University
*Fall Quarter/Semester October 1- November 30
*Winter Quarter/Semester June 1-30
*Spring Quarter/Semester August 1-30
*Summer Quarter February 1-28
University of California
*Fall Quarter/Semester November 1-30
*Winter Quarter July 1-31
*Spring Quarter October 1-31 (except Berkeley)
*Spring Semester – UC Merced (July 1-31)
*Varies – check with the individual schools by calling the campus admissions office.
- Most colleges and universities require that you declare a major upon submitting an application
for transfer admission. Are you still undecided about your major? Enroll in a Career and Life Planning Course at CSM, visit the CSM Career Services online, or see a career counselor.
- Very Important! Obtain and study the college catalog(s) of those colleges/universities you are considering for transfer. Familiarize yourself with their programs, curriculum, grading system, academic calendar, majors, etc.