You can download an application from this website, you can get an application from a school guidance counselor or you can call the Middle College (574-6536) to have one mailed to you. Please note that the applications for the SMUHSD and the CUSD students are slightly different. CUSD students should get an application from their guidance counselor or call the Middle College office to request one be mailed.
Step 1: Application (deadline March 15)
1. Middle College Application: All students interested in in the Middle College program must complete the Middle College Enrollment Application. Be sure to respond to all parts of the application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
2. College of San Mateo Application for Admission: Students are required to Apply to CSM. Once you complete the application, print the “Application Confirmation” page and a copy of the application information, and send both documents as part of your Middle College packet. Students will be assigned a CSM student ID number, which is needed to take CSM Placement Tests. Students who previously attended CSM or are attending CSM now don’t need to reapply, but you must let us know that you have a CSM ID number (a G#).
3. Letters of Recommendation: Students must have a teacher from their current high school fill out the recommendation form:
- Give the "Teacher Recommendation Form" to an English, Social Science, Math or Science teacher who knows about your behavior, attendance, participation, and performance in a classroom setting
- Allow the teacher enough time to respond to all sections of the recommendation form. Please return the teacher recommendation form and the parent/guardian form to the Middle College Office by the March 15 deadline.
Step 2: College of San Mateo Placement Tests
All applicants must take the College of San Mateo English Placement Test. Math Placement can be based on high school grades and course completion or on the CSM Math Placement Test. Middle College students should take the Math Placement Test so both measures are available for deciding what math placement at CSM is most appropriate.
- We have reserved four Placement sessions exclusively for Middle College students. You can sign up for one of these sessions online.
- You can schedule your Placement test,you must make an appointment using the CSM on-line system, WebSMART. Please visit our Assessment Appointment page to schedule an appointment.
The testing must be completed on or before March 15. When you submit your CSM application online, you will be assigned a CSM student identification number (a G number). Once testing in completed, students will receive results of the testing. Please electronically send your results to email@example.com or bring a copy of the test results to the Middle College Office at your earliest convenience. If there are questions, contact the Middle College office (574-6536) or the CSM Testing Office (574-6175).
Step 3: Shadow Day (February 14 @ 10:30 am)
Students may shadow a Middle College student or observe the Middle College classes. Middle College Shadow Day is scheduled for Tuesday, February 14th. Please fill out the online form for this upcoming date. Students should report to the Middle College Office Building 12, Room 206 (we are next to College Center, Bldg 10).
Step 4: Student and Parent/Guardian Interviews
Students who successfully complete the first three steps will be scheduled for interviews with their parents/guardians, plus members of the Middle College staff. We will begin to schedule interviews after applications are received.
Students and parents/guardians are asked a series of questions related to the student's educational goals, and their reasoning for coming to Middle College. Parents, students, and Middle College Staff are all important members of the team working for student success. Interviews take approximately 20 minutes.
Step 5: Student Scheduling
Students will be notified by mail if they have been accepted into the Middle College program. Students will then be scheduled for Fall 2017 courses. Scheduling appointments will be held the weeks of April 24th and May 1st.
For more information, please call the Middle College office at (650) 574-6536.