View the Middle College Enrollment Application.
The Fall 2014 application deadline for San Mateo Union High School District and Cabrillo Unified School District students has passed. Late applications will be processed on a case-by-case basis.
You can download an application from this website, you can get an application from a school guidance counselor or you can call the Middle College (574-6101) to have one mailed to you. Please note that the applications for the SMUHSD and the CUSD are slightly different.
STEP 1: APPLICATION AND LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
1. Middle College Application: All students interested in in the Middle College program must complete the Middle College Enrollment Application. Be sure to respond to all parts of the application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
2. College of San Mateo Application for Admission: Students are required to Apply to CSM. Once you complete the application, print the “Application Confirmation” page and a copy of the application information, and send both documents as part of your Middle College packet. Students will be assigned a CSM student ID number, which is needed to take CSM Placement Tests. Students who previously attended CSM or are attending CSM now don’t need to reapply, but you must let us know that you have a CSM ID number (a G#).
3. Letters of Recommendation: Students must have three staff members from the current high school fill out the recommendation forms:
- Give the "Counselor Recommendation Form" to your guidance counselor
- Give the "Teacher Recommendation Form" to a teacher who knows about your behavior, attendance, participation, and performance in a classroom setting
- Give the "Assistant Principal/Dean of Students Recommendation Form" to a staff member familiar with your behavior on campus and at school functions, either the Assistant Principal who monitors discipline for your grade or the Dean of Students
- Give the counselor, teacher, and administrator enough time to respond to all sections of the recommendation form, and all staff members need to return the recommendation forms to your guidance counselor by the March 25 deadline.
5. Transcript: Students must include an unofficial transcript in the packet and your six-week or 12-week progress report; Arrange to receive an unofficial transcript from the school student data analyst.
6. Attendance Report: Students must include a high school attendance report for Fall 2013 and Spring 2014. Consult the school attendance clerk to receive a copy of this report. The application, letters of recommendation, transcript, and attendance report must be submitted to your guidance counselor no later than Tuesday, March 25 Be sure that all letters of recommendation have been processed and returned to the counselor. The applications will be turned over to the Middle College office by the end of school, March 25.
STEP 2: COLLEGE OF SAN MATEO ENGLISH PLACEMENT TEST
All applicants must take the College of San Mateo English Placement Test. Students must use the CSM on-line system, Websmart, to register for a placement test time. Go to collegeofsanmateo.edu/testing/scheduletest.asp to schedule an appointment. The testing should be completed on or before April 9. When you submit your CSM application to the CSM Admissions and Records office, you will be assigned a CSM student identification number (a G number). Students also can sign up for the Math Placement Test at the same time. If there are questions, contact the Middle College office (574-6101) or the CSM Testing Office (574-6175).
STEP 3: PARENT/GUARDIAN INFORMATION NIGHT AND STUDENT TESTING
Students will be notified that they have passed the paper-screening portion of the application process. Applicants and parents/guardians must attend an informational meeting at CSM on Wednesday, April 9, at 6 pm at CSM in College Center Building 10, Room 195.
Middle College administrators and staff members will provide information about the program. Students will take a writing test, which will help determine eligibility in the Middle College program. The information meeting and student testing will take approximately two hours.
STEP 4: STUDENT SHADOWING AND TOURING OF CSM FACILITIES (OPTIONAL)
Students can shadow a Middle College student or observe the Middle College classes. Middle College student candidates and parents/guardians may opt to tour the CSM campus. These visits are done by appointment, usually on Mondays and Wednesdays. Call the Middle College office for information.
STEP 5: INTERVIEWS WITH STUDENTS AND PARENTS/GUARDIANS
Students who successfully complete the first three steps will be scheduled for interviews with their parents/guardians, plus members of the Middle College staff. The interviews will be scheduled the weeks of April 14 and April 21 at CSM.
Students and parents/guardians are asked a series of questions related to the students' involvement in and commitment to Middle College. Interviews take approximately 15 minutes.
STEP 6: STUDENT NOTIFICATION AND SCHEDULING OF COURSES
Students will be notified by mail if they have been accepted into the Middle College program. Students will arrange for a meeting with Middle College and CSM staff members to begin registration and scheduling for Fall 2014 courses. Scheduling appointments will be the weeks of April 21 and April 28. The Middle College high school classes begin on Tuesday, August 12. The CSM classes begin on Monday, August 18, 2014.
The fall semester runs from August 12 through December 17, 2014.
For more information, please call the Middle College Principal Greg Quigley at (650) 574-6101.
Need Information in Spanish? ¿Necesita información en Español?
Por favor llame a Laurie Carrasquedo al (650) 574-6536 or email firstname.lastname@example.org