The following information is for students that have been accepted into the 10-Month Dental Assisting Program.
Required Exams, Immunizations & Lab Tests
Dental Assisting is a career that involves exposure to bloodbourne pathogens and diseases. Therefore, it is a program requirement that all dental assisting students obtain and stay current with certain vaccinations and lab tests.
Learn more »
The College of San Mateo Dental Assisting program, along with OSHA and the ADA, requires all students to obtain and keep current certain vaccinations and lab tests. You will need to be examined by a licensed physician or nurse practitioner and a licensed Dentist and have these practitioners complete the required forms. Below are the links to provide the student with further information regarding what is needed to meet the exams and Immunization requirements. You are required to meet the following specifications before you will be allowed to register for Dental Assisting classes if you are applying for the 10-Month Program.
- Obtain a physical evaluation and the required immunizations and lab test.
- The student is required to have this form signed off by a licensed physician or nurse practitioner.
- Obtain a dental examination.
- The student is required to have this form signed off by a dentist to allow for a set of dental radiographs (x-rays) to be taken on them and allows them to be a patient during the Coronal Polish course. The student also must have a dental exam.
- Obtain Certification in CPR for Medical Practitioners through the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross.
There will be a mandatory orientation for all accepted students into the Fall, 2013 10-Month Program in early May. All accepted students will be notified of the exact time and date upon notification of acceptance. Accepted students must have their exams, immunizations and lab tests (with the exception of the final Hepatitis B vaccination) completed before students may register for Fall classes but at the very latest by the date of orientation. If you have not completed these medical requirements by the date of orientation, you will lose your spot in the 10-Month Program and be put on our waiting list.
The Dental Assisting Program at College of San Mateo requires students to wear a uniform. The uniform encourages an atmosphere of learning and professionalism.
Please order the following uniform supplies listed below.
You must have your uniform and wear it by September 2, 2013.
The CSM Dental Assisting Uniform Kit consists of:
- 3 set of scrubs (tops and pants) in Navy Blue (student will have several choices on pant style), Cherokee Brand
- Uniform shoes - white, closed toe, wipe-able
- Safety Glasses
- Lab Coat to be purchased from the CSM bookstore
As a dental assisting student at CSM, you are covered automatically by the San Mateo County Community College District’s coverage. There is no separate fee required at this time. Once you have registered and paid for your courses you are covered under the District. This is important when performing clinical rotations at UOP Dental School and during clinical internships with the Dental Assisting program.