Students in the cosmetology program get the opportunity to participate in a variety of learning activities, Including:
In the Community
- Working with fashion design students at Cañada College, College of San Mateo cosmetology students provide make-up and hair styling for the models that appear in the annual Cañada College fashion show
- Hair styling and make-up services are also provided by our students in connection with fundraising fashion events produced by local high schools
- Social services organizations in the community are pleased to have some of their clients receive hair styling and other salon services from CSM cosmetology students
- The department offers low-priced salon services for students, faculty and staff of the college, and members of the community
- Cash donations are made by the CSM Cosmetology Club to selected local charities
Cosmetology students are encouraged to demonstrate their creativity by participating in student hair styling competitions, with other cosmetology schools, held on a regular basis each year. Cosmetology students have participated in competitions throughout California and have won various awards and recognition from the professional associations that sponsor them. CSM has the trophies to prove the talent of our student competitors.
Read more about competition in "Competition: Why Should I Compete?", an article featured in California Stylist Magazine, which includes a quote from Suzanne Russell, Cosmetology Department Professor at CSM.
Student competitors grow their technical skills exponentially during their practice for these events with the aid of coaching from faculty and staff, and the support, critique, and suggestions from fellow cosmetology students.
Senior student teams work together to prepare their models for photography by a professional photographer who sets up a photo studio in the cosmetology department each Summer session.