The Communication Studies Center will complement the classroom experience to engender excellence in oral communication in students.
To fulfill this vision, the center
- Advocates for oral communication as an essential part of learning;
- Cultivates an active-learning environment to develop student skills in speaking, listening, creative and critical thinking, and community-building;
- Provides innovative technology and pedagogy, coupled with faculty and staff support, to enhance student learning;
- Contributes through its initiatives to improve awareness and understanding of oral communication in the college community and beyond.
The Communication Studies Resource Center is a place where all may come to talk, think, and learn about oral communication.
Communication Studies Center (COMM LAB) SLO Assessment
- Individual consultation and personalized coaching by faculty
- Videotaping of presentations
- Content modules for self-paced review and improvement
- Video, audio, and traditional library on communication topics
- Internet access, word processing, laser printing
Communication Studies courses have a one-hour by arrangement requirement. Instructors and students are required to participate in lab activities, such as video recording speeches; self-critiques; consultation with instructors; completion of modules online and/or on site; group meetings; and research.
Online Communication Studies Lab Resources
The resources below are being made available for access outside of the Communication Studies Lab. Please consult with your instructor or the Communication Studies Lab Instructional Aide for more information.
Professor Kate Motoyama