What is Communication Studies?
Communication Studies explores the ways we connect with one another through talk. As we speak, our words and actions become one. Our works allow us to influence change in the world. Our actions, in turn, affect how others perceive us and how we perceive ourselves. Dr. Judy Pearson observes:
- As we extend ourselves to others, we become empathic.
- As we treat others fairly, we become just.
- As we respect difference, we become fully human.
Why Study Communication Studies at CSM?
CSM's award-winning Communication Studies program provides expert instruction and lab support to help you develop as a communication student and gain desirable skills in speaking and listening. In addition, our program offers:
- The flexibility to design a Communication Studies curriculum that focuses on your interests and needs.
- The opportunity to work with trained Communication Studies professionals and study collaboratively with classmates.
- The chance to gain experience through a variety of learning opportunities, including access to our Comm Studies Lab and service learning projects.
Communication Studies courses will give you a foundation in communication that you can put to immediate use. You will find that the skills you learn in OUR courses will help you succeed in other subjects, in the workforce, as well as in your everyday lives. Students may also continue to build upon their knowledge and skills through taking more Communication Studies courses. In addition, the Communication Studies Department offers a certificate of completion (CS) and an associate of arts (AA) degree in Communication Studies or associate of arts for transfer (AA-T).
Special Characteristics of the CSM Communication Studies Department
- Diverse faculty with specializations in different areas of Communication Studies
- Model Teaching Program Award,Western States Communication Association
Teaching and Service Recognition:
Master Teacher Award, Western States Communication Association
Full Time Faculty Award, Faculty Association for California Community Colleges
Regina Stanback-Stroud Diversity Award, Academic Senate for California Community Colleges
- Day and evening course offerings to fit your needs
- Communication Studies Resource Center to polish communication skills
- Established the Dr. Susan Estes Scholarship for Communication Studies, an annual scholarship for majors