General Information at College of San Mateo - Veterans and Veterans' Dependents
skip directly to Main Content Navigation Search A-Z Index Ask the Bulldog Find People Top Story Breadcrumbs Footer
Flex Day (No Classes)
October 11, 2023
Veterans Day
November 10, 2023
Thanksgiving Weekend
November 23-26, 2023
Request Information
General Information
Veterans and Veterans' Dependents

College of San Mateo offers approved instruction to veterans, service members, dependents and survivors of veterans and to other eligible persons, and is authorized by the Department of Veterans Affairs to certify students who are working toward a College of San Mateo degree, certificate and/or CSU/UC transfer programs, for benefits under Chapter 30, 32, 33 (Veterans), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), Chapter 35 (Veterans' Spouses or Dependents), and Chapter 1606 (Selected Reserve).

All students, except those under Chapter 31, buy their own books and supplies. Those interested in attending College of San Mateo under any of these chapters should contact the School Certifying Official in the Office of Admissions and Records (Building 10, Room 360) to apply for benefits.

Honorably discharged veterans with at least 30 days of active military service are eligible for educational benefits for a period of ten years following discharge. Benefits are also available to members of the active reserve who pursue approved college studies.

To initiate benefit payments, an eligible student must request that certification of enrollment be sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs. See the School Certifying Official in the Office of Admissions and Records. Those who have previously attended college must file official copies of all college transcripts with the office of Admissions and Records.

College policy regarding Academic Probation (explained in the Probation section in our Academic Policies) applies to all students. Veteran students placed on Academic Probation for failure to maintain a 2.0 grade point average must improve their GPA within the following two semesters or the College is required to report a termination of veteran's benefits due to unsatisfactory academic progress (as defined by the Department of Veterans Affairs). More information is available from the School Certifying Official.