High School Enrollment Programs at College of San Mateo - Frequently Asked Questions
skip directly to Main Content Navigation Search A-Z Index Ask the Bulldog Find People Top Story Breadcrumbs Footer
High School Enrollment Programs
Frequently Asked Questions

What is concurrent enrollment?
Concurrent enrollment is an enrichment program that provides an opportunity for high school students to get an early start on higher education by earning college credits while still in high school. College courses taken in high school may be used to fulfill college and university requirements without the expense of most university programs. Many courses are transferable to four-year colleges and universities.

How do I know what courses I should take?
You should talk with your high school counselor about the college courses that are appropriate for you to take. Your counselor can review your high school transcript and help determine what courses will best meet your educational goals and are suited to your academic ability.

Are there requirements I need to meet to participate in Concurrent Enrollment?
Yes. In order to participate, you will need to obtain written permission from your parent/guardian and your high school principal or designee. Depending upon the course(s) you wish to take, you may need to meet course prerequisites.

The course I want to take has a prerequisite. What does that mean?

Certain college courses require that you have acquired specific skills or knowledge to be successful in the class. To be eligible to enroll in the course, you must be able to demonstrate that you possess the skills or knowledge to be successful. There are several requirements that students must meet to participate:
  • Obtain written permission from their parent/guardian and high school principal/designee
  • Students must meet all course prerequisites for the college courses that they wish to enroll in
Do I need to take placement tests to participate in Concurrent Enrollment?
There are certain courses, like English and mathematics, for which placement tests will be required to determine if you meet course prerequisites. See Class Schedule for specific course prerequisites, and placement testing dates, times, and locations. You should make arrangements to take the placement tests as soon as possible, so that you will know if you are eligible to take the course you wish.
What are the advantages of doing college classes at Cañada, CSM or Skyline versus AP courses in high School?
With the AP courses you complete in high school, you will still need to take the AP test prior to earning any college credit. AP tests are not free, while concurrent enrollment is for residents of California. Remember, not all universities accept AP Credit, and you will also have to score at least a “3” on each test to earn college credit. Even within the UC system, not every university (or even each college within the university) accepts AP credit in a similar way. Go to www.universityofcalifornia.edu and search for “quick reference for counselors” to obtain additional information.

Can I participate in the Concurrent Enrollment Program in my first summer after high school graduation?
No. Since you will have graduated from high school prior to the time that the summer session will begin, you will be considered a high school graduate. While you may not participate in the concurrent enrollment program, you are eligible to apply as an incoming freshman.

What happens if I fail my college class?
Most concurrent enrollment students do very well in their college classes. However, if you fail the course, you may wish to retake the course at a later time. It is important to know that once you enroll in a college course, you will be establishing a permanent academic record that will remain with you throughout your college education. That’s why it’s important for you to meet with your high school counselor to help you select the right courses. Once you are enrolled, you should also talk with college counselors to make sure you are aware of important deadlines for dropping classes and for obtaining help if you need it.

How can I obtain a copy of my Cañada, CSM or Skyline transcript?
To obtain district transcripts, visit WebSMART and log in with your user ID (G #), and your PIN number. Once you've logged into WebSMART, click on “Student Services,” “Student Records,” and finally “Request Official Transcripts."