



ACADEMIC SENATE

Meeting Minutes

January 24, 2023
Zoom Meeting ID: 442 779
680

1700 W. Hillsdale Blvd.
San Mateo, CA
2:30 – 4:30 pm

[Website](#)

Executive Committee 2023

Arielle Smith
President

Jesenia Diaz
Vice-President

Stephen Heath
Treasurer

Daniel Keller
Secretary

Executives Present

Name of Officer	Executive Committee Role
Daniel Keller	Secretary
Arielle Smith	President
Jesenia Diaz	Vice President

Senators Present

Name of Senator	Division
Rene Anderson	Language Arts
Michelle Beatty	Math Science
Michelle Brown	CASS
Yvette Butterworth	Math Science
Leo Cruz	Counselling
Manny Delgado	Counselling
Susan Khan	ASLT/CTL
Matt Montgomery	ASLT
Edgar Mojica Villegas	CASS
Vincent Li	Business-Technology
Gil Perez	Counselling
Todd Windisch	Language Arts
Lale Yurtseven	Business-Technology

Others Present

Name	Representing
Julieth Diaz-Benitez	ASLT
Donna Eyestone	DGME
Carla Grandy	VPI
Jennifer Howze Owens	DEAC
Joshua Moon Johnson	VPSS
Phillip Tran	Business-Technology
Chris Walker	Curriculum

Opening Procedures

Item	Presenter	Time	Details	Action/ Information/ Procedure
Approval of today's agenda	President	2:35	We are adding two items to the agenda: We need to approve a KAD peer evaluation committee member, and a geology hiring committee. Move to approve: Todd Second: Chris. Approved by all. Move to approve: Daniel. Second: Todd. Approved	Procedure
Approval of past minutes	President	2:39	Minutes approved	Procedure
Public Comment	Public	2:40	Jennifer Howze Owens: In our distance ed meeting, we heard that AT 1 funding is very much in question. We are not sure if anything is going to be renewed—the support may be going away. We are supposed to hear more in a few months, but right now it looks like funding will be wrapping up by the end of the fiscal year.	Information

New Senate Business

	Item	Presenter	Time	Details	Action (Motion/Resolution)/ Information//Discussion
1	President's Report	Arielle	2:41	President's Report: I want to acknowledge the shootings that took place in Half Moon Bay and Oakland this morning. It has had an impact on our community. Otherwise, I want to let everyone know that I have made a request for an ASCC visit—a representative will be coming. I will let you know when I hear when.	Information
2	ASCSM Update	ASCSM	3:05	No representative present	Information
3	Standing Committee Reports	Chris	3:06	a. Curriculum Committee, Chris Walker, Chair We have not met yet—the first meeting is this Thursday. However, I do want to report that during the flex day on the 12 th , we had our district curriculum alignment summit. We gathered faculty from disciplines that have the most to do—biology, computer science, Spanish, and poli-sci. We want to get those faculty in the room and make sure they understand the differences and the impact on students. They have agreed to have discussions, and we are hoping to have changes ready for the fall 2024 catalog. It was a productive meeting—people were open to making changes. We hope to have a follow-up meeting at the mid-semester flex day. I am hopeful that we will be ready for the common course numbering project	Information

b. Committee on Teaching and Learning,
Susan Khan & David Lau, Co-chairs

Susan: Reporting on our flex day numbers—we had 253 participants on college day with 176 attending the morning session; on district flex day, we had 143 from CSM participating. We had 12 sessions on college day and 19 on district day. We could use more feedback.

The CTL is also working on our current goals, including revising bylaws. We also are planning on streamlining the great read process and providing more guidance to faculty who are assessing SLOs or writing program review.

We also have a working group focusing on long-term planning, including the April flex day. We want to have a session on academic dishonesty and especially the more recent developments on artificial intelligence that are filling some with dread.

c. Distance Education Advisory
Committee, Jennifer Howze-Owens

Our first meeting is next Wednesday, but I did want to share that we presented our distance ed policy pathways to IPC this morning to get feedback from the deans.

We now have dates for QOTL2: Two spring and two summer cohorts. **Spring 1: 2/3-3/24** **Spring 2: 4/3-5/14.** The summer dates are 6/5 to 7/16 and 6/20 to 7/30. Again, this is prioritizing people who are teaching online in fall. We will also be sending out more information on the training for all faculty.

d. OER Update, Jennifer Howze-Owens

We had an equity and OER session at flex day that went pretty well. We have also had requests to come to division meetings. The ZTC grant from the state has led to a survey to see which faculty are interested in the OER certificate program. We have 140 ZTC sections this semester, which is up from previous semesters.

				<p>There is also a seminar for people who want to learn more about AI and OER. More information to come.</p>	
5	Action Items		2:55	<p>1. Committee Appointments a. Deborah Baker, Enrollment Sustainability & Growth Work Group</p> <p>This is a new group that just started in December. Move to approve: Todd Second: Chris Vote: All approve</p> <p>2. Peer Evaluation Committee</p> <p>a. Business and Technology: Peter von Bleichert, Kamran Eftekhari, Christy Baird Move to approve: Todd Second: Chris Vote: All approve</p> <p>b. Kinesiology, Athletics, and Dance: Nicole Borg, Denaya Dailey, Bret Pollack, Mike Marcial Move to approve: Todd Second: Chris Vote: All approve</p> <p>3. Hiring Committees</p> <p>a. CIS • Kamran Eftekhari – CIS • Hellen Pacheco – CIS • Jesenia Diaz – Counseling • Francisco Gamez - Dean</p> <p>Move to approve: Chris Second: Yvette Discussion: Arielle noted that this is the third time we have put together a hiring committee for this position.</p> <p>b. Kinesiology – Track and Cross Country Coach • Katie Goldhahn - KAD • Mike Marcial – KAD • Melinda Nguyen - NURSING • Jacqueline Pigozzi (classified staff) – KAD Division Assistant • Andreas Wolf – Dean</p> <p>Move to approve: Todd Second: Yvette Discussion: none Vote: All approve</p> <p>c. Geology Linda Hand, Geology Alex Wong, Physics</p>	Action

				<p>Catherine Chelsa, Chemistry Administrator is still TBD</p> <p>Chris: they are hoping to get an interim dean on the committee Move to approve: Daniel Second: Chris Discussion: none Vote: All approve</p> <p>We have two more non-faculty positions:</p> <p>d. Research Inquiry and Institutional Effectiveness Manager • Teresa Morris – Library • David Lau – English</p> <p>David is the current SLO coordinator Move to approve: Todd Second: Edgar Discussion: the goal is to help with managing data requests. This position will be working with Hillary in the PRIE office.</p> <p>Michelle Brown: Do we know how many are on the committee beyond the faculty? Arielle: I would guess six, but I am not sure.</p> <p>Vote: All approve</p> <p>e. International Education Program Manager • Sue Hwang – ESL</p> <p>We are looking to hire a permanent program manager. Sue is on the international ed committee—ESL has a close relationship with international education.</p> <p>Move to approve: Todd Second: Rene Discussion: None Vote: Approved</p>	
6.	Discussion items	Joshua Moon-Johnson	3:09	<p>1. Campus-wide Wellness Plan – Joshua Moon-Johnson (10 min)</p> <p>We are in the beginning phases of creating a college-wide wellness plan. We are currently building a small team, and we plan to work on creating a campus community that thrives, and an environment that sustains employees, particularly those from marginalized communities.</p>	Discussion

We also want to focus on long term sustainability. We do have a sustained structure for students—but we want to extend this to all members of our community, including faculty, managers, and staff

We are looking for anyone who has an interest in serving. The committee will most likely have 4-6 meetings of 90 minutes to two hours a semester and would be working on coming up with a plan about how the whole community can benefit from wellness. We want to do more than just recommend classes or exercises so much as look at how our institution's management philosophy can help or inhibit these goals.

Arielle: is the goal to start planning this semester and implement in the fall?

Joshua: Yes, the goal is to have a structure or a plan by the end of this semester. Probably in late summer, and definitely by fall, we would want some of this to go into implementation. We may need to beg for resources, so it is likely that implementation will start in the fall.

Jesenia: do you know of any institutions doing something similar or what it would look like in practice?

Joshua: there are not many community colleges with this kind of plan for that includes employees, though there are many with wellness or student health centers. Some also have employee wellness plans, but they are often superficial. I hope we can do things that are substantial, that we can move the conversation around the systemic and structural issues that are causing people to need so much self-care.

We hope to have the first meeting by mid-February. I am happy to answer any questions by phone or email, but if we could get someone identified in the next two weeks, we could start meeting in February.

Jesenia: How many faculty? Joshua: one or two to start. We also want to be sure that others can share their voices beyond the core committee of 8-10 people.

Arielle If you can send me a blurb I can get it out to all faculty, but if anyone is interested now, please let me know.

2. Brown Act rules change – Arielle Smith (20 min)

We are governed by the Brown act as a public voting entity that takes action as a body. At CSM, this applies to senate and the curriculum committee. We are a legislative body so we are bound to the Brown Act

Arielle shared slides highlighting some of the key policies and the changes since the pandemic: some key policies include the requirement to post agendas in accessible places 72 hours in advance of meetings, with an opportunity for the public to attend and participate; members may only deliberate on items in the agenda and must publicly report any action taken All deliberations must be made public, and agenda items cannot be discussed in private settings, including email.

The new legislation is a response to the policy changes made since the pandemic began: we have been in a state of emergency since Covid started, but this ends 2/28.

As a result, beginning 3/1 there is new legislation (AB 2449) that allows voting members to Zoom in to a meeting up to 20% of meetings as long as they have just cause or emergency circumstances. "Emergency" includes physical or family medical emergency, while "just cause" includes childcare or caregiving for family members, contagious illness, physical or mental disability that has not been accommodated, or travel for official business

This would mean about three senate meetings a year.

We need a quorum of members at the same location in person. This does not apply to non-voting members. For any given meeting, we need 50% +1. Zoom must have video and sound on and we must use a roll call vote if any of the meeting is online. And there is a process for ADA compliance.

Arielle

3:19

The purpose of AB 2449 is to make sure that we are meeting in-person. There is also a protocol for notification of just cause—no vote is necessary, but for emergency circumstances, senate must vote to approve.

Members can notify of either just cause or emergency circumstances up to the very beginning of the meeting, but advance notice is encouraged if possible. Members online have to notify others if anyone over 18 is in the room with them online.

The district does not think that this applies to subcommittees, but ASCC thinks that it may. In some cases, this is clear: curriculum is a subcommittee, but it is a voting committee and has widely been considered to be a Brown act committee. Chris: we discussed this at our last meeting. We are going to start following the rules in the second meeting in February.

Todd: how many absences are we allowed? AS: this is part of the later discussion, but we don't have it written down.

The gist: if there is anyone who is a voting member who cannot be here physically for the meetings, then we likely will have to change the membership. We have five meetings left after the 2/28 deadline, so folks can participate for up to three of them.

Chris: are we interpreting that as 20% in a calendar year or academic year?

Arielle: Legislation says that it is a calendar year even though we change membership.

Jennifer: this has been a topic that DEAC has wanted to talk about—we will likely continue to be virtual for this update, but can we have a presentation on these changes? Arielle: I will put this on the senate website and I am happy to share it. I also have the original much more extensive discussion from ASCCC that I can share if anyone is interested.

		Daniel	3:35	<p>Our guests are still welcome to join on Zoom as long as they are non-voting members.</p> <p>3. Artificial intelligence at CSM– Daniel Keller (40 min)</p> <p>Daniel: At our final meeting last semester, I made a public comment that we should begin talking about the possible impacts artificial intelligence programs such as Chat GPT may have on teaching and learning. If you have been following the news, you already know that Open AI, the company that produces Chat GPT, Dall-E, and other AI products, has released some very impressive, and, for some, unsettling programs: the program creates writing and images that seem remarkably “real.” Microsoft has invested 10 billion dollars in Open AI, and other companies, including Google and Meta, are also planning to invest heavily and begin releasing products.</p> <p>It seems inevitable that these changes will have a significant impact on teaching and learning—possibly a negative one. Some are predicting that cheating will become nearly impossible to detect or prevent, while others fear that AI will negatively impact students in other ways, as it raises serious questions about the value of learning many skills that can now be performed by computers—and threatens to replace many jobs.</p> <p>We are working on updating plagiarism statements to include policies about AI, but we are also hoping to being a task force at CSM to discuss these issues and promote information and broader discussions across campus. We also want to discuss possible policy changes and plan events to keep faculty, staff, and students informed.</p> <p>Already some colleges and state school systems have responded by banning the program entirely, but others have responded that we should focus on the potential benefits of AI—this is a tool students will be able to use in the future, and we have a responsibility to teach them how to use it well. Many others are more fearful about the possible negative impacts on teachers and students.</p>	
--	--	--------	------	--	--

Jennifer: District DEAC met Monday with Sarah Harmon, the chair of Teaching and Learning for the district: this will definitely be an ongoing conversation.

There is also an event through OER that we shared on Friday—([link here](#))

Michelle: Banning AI seems futile—Chat GPT is likely to be integrated into future versions of Microsoft Word, and students can easily access it off campus anyway.

Chris: This is also relevant to math, not just writing or art: I read just this week that they fed extremely complex problems into the program that AI would solve very impressively and be able to explain in detail.

Michelle: Dall-E is also powerful form of AI—it can generate paintings in particular styles. You can't really tell, or I can't, if it is real artwork or even photography. It messes with your perception of reality.

It can also write code in the forms of HTML programs and has helped medical trainees figure out what is going on with patients and may be able to give legal opinions that could replace the need to consult with lawyers.

Arielle: We also need to be really aware that there are implications for multiple areas—not just the plagiarism statement.

Chris: this is why I am skeptical that the plagiarism statement is the best response.

Michelle: on my syllabus, I just word it as anytime you submit work that you didn't do, it is cheating.

Jennifer: The larger umbrella is academic dishonesty. But we need to approach this from the student perspective, bringing them into the conversation. Some wanted to have this for flex day in January, but it is just too new. It really does touch all of these groups.

Todd: since we are bringing up all of the ways that it is affecting our students and us, I also saw

today that there is a new AI program that allows you to change your eye movement so that it will always look like you are looking into the camera—that has impact on proctoring software.

Rene: Can we bring Joshua back? This affects faculty and staff wellness! I also feel bad for students that they feel pressured to turn in work that is not their own. And I feel like it is interfering with what I do as a teacher. I don't want to go back to the days of having students write in-person essays—timed writing is not what we do and can create text anxiety.

Lale: We are already discouraged from using of proctoring software—so I have assigned more papers and projects, so this means students have to be on campus. It is very frustrating.

Among senate members and attendees, Susan, Julieth, and Lale all expressed interest.

Arielle: The goal is to have work group at least this semester that is an ad-hoc group to identify folks who are interested, but it is likely to extend beyond this semester. There will be crossover with PD and DEAC and other areas on campus. This may become a new standing committee, but at this point I want to allow the group time to form.

4. Committee Participation Policy draft – Arielle Smith (15 min)

4:03

Rules for attending: see the email attachment Arielle sent out along with the agenda for the meeting.

Faculty on committees would need to attend 80% of the committee meetings every semester; if they are not able to attend, they should alert the dean and request an alternate; committee chairs and faculty will work with deans on how best to accommodate. Committee chairs are responsible for verifying participants, and at the end of each semester, committee chairs will reach out to faculty who have attended less than 80% of the meetings.

Jennifer: is this an amendment to a policy?
Arielle: we don't have a policy now, but there have been difficulties with committee participation in the past. The reason we have CTL is that we could not get enough attendance in the three separate committees to actually do anything, so we rolled them up into one. This policy is intended to provide clear expectations for those who serve on committees. This is independent of the point system—which is a pilot.

Lale: Is this only for committees under the Brown act?

Arielle: this will go into the faculty handbook for all committees at CSM—under senate, but also IPC or any other at-large committees. So it is setting expectations for all college committees. I will send a list out so that you can share it with your divisions.

Tim: in kinesiology, we've found that many committees meet when coaches are in practice, so we are working with Jeramy to figure out the best way of working around that.

Arielle: that is one we really see with kinesiology, but also in creative arts because so many of the classes are really long and go into afternoon time.

We might discuss college hour again—it would also be relevant to the wellness plan. It may be one of these structural reforms that we need to get more diverse voices in the room that have not been able to participate. Particularly with big committees, you get some of the same folks cycling through them. There is not much incentive for adjuncts.

Chris: Math and English are always overrepresented because we are the largest departments.

Susan: can adjuncts serve? Arielle: Yes, but there is always the question of compensation and incentives.

Also thinking of our senate meeting time—it was moved for our five years ago to accommodate

			<p>people who were teaching up to 2:30, but this semester, that is only six sections, while there are constraints about meeting past four, for example for people with children in the CDC, which closes before the meeting ends. So we need to think about ways to be more inclusive of other groups. Chris: this also includes science classes that have labs running late into the afternoon.</p> <p>AS: I will bring this back as an action item at one of the February meetings.</p> <p>Meeting adjourned at 4:25</p>	
--	--	--	--	--