What is a Summer Experience? Why is it important?
Summer Experience provides students an opportunity to take a 1-week class that helps with the transition to College of San Mateo by meeting other new students, getting familiar with campus, resources & staff. Taking a summer experience class is essential to starting out strong at College of San Mateo. Each summer experience begins to build both the social and academic support systems that lead to student success. There are two options to choose from: Pathway to College or Math Jam.
Summer Experience Options
Option 1: Pathway to College
We know how important it is for students to get acclimated to college life and academics, and that is why Pathway to College covers the following topics:
- Time Management: Balancing college expectations with family/work responsibilities.
- Successful Student Habits: Developing study skills and techniques for a successful semester.
- Online Tools: Using WebSMART to enroll in classes, reading college schedules, contacting instructors, and counselors.
- Goal Setting: Exploring short-term semester goals and long-term educational opportunities.
- Financial Literacy: Understanding the cost of college & navigating financial aid options.
- Community Building: Connecting with other incoming students & meet staff/faculty.
Option 2: Math Jam
Math Jam at CSM is a one-week intensive math treatment that offers students the opportunity to improve placement test results in math and/or prepare for math courses they will be taking.
Session offered August 8 - August 12, 2016.