Transition to College at College of San Mateo - FAQs
skip directly to Main Content Navigation Search A-Z Index Find People Top Story Breadcrumbs Footer
Independence Day Holiday
No Classes
Friday, July 3, 2015
College for Kids!
Monday-Friday, July 6-23
Registration for Fall 2015
May 5 - August 16
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • YouTube
  • Linkedin
Transition to College

Frequently Asked Questions

What resources are available to pay for school?

There are three resources available to students to help fund education. These resources have specific eligibility requirements. The first and most common way is through something called the Board of Governors Grant fee waiver, or the BOGG, which most of our students qualify. The BOGG does not cover the cost of books but, all of the classes offered through Supported Education provide the materials for their classes. Another available resource is Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOPS), which covers the cost of books and bus passes. The third option is financial aid, which provides additional funds for students based on their financial need.

What is the process of receiving financial aid?

When a student decides to sign up for classes, the staff at Supported Education will walk them through the entire process. To receive aid, the student will need to complete the BOGG form, which is one page. In addition, students are encouraged to apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The financial aid office at College of San Mateo is extremely helpful and can sit down with students to help them complete any necessary paperwork.

What expenses are there in addition to tuition and books?

There is a student body card that costs $8 and the student government fee is $1, both may be waived by signing a form provided by the student activities office. The only other additional fee is a student health fee of $16 for both spring and fall semesters and $13 during the summer semester. Please note fees are subject to change.

What services are offered to students who only speak Spanish?

We are happy to set up intake appointments and provide supportive services with a Spanish speaking staff member, but the classes offered through Supported Education are only provided in English. The College of San Mateo offers ESL classes and we are happy to work with students in any classes in an effort to provide on-going support throughout their experience in school.

Do you need to have a high school diploma or GED to enroll in school?

No. As long as your are over the age of 18, no previous educational records are required.

What if I am not interested in becoming a Peer Mentor?

We provide supportive services to all students with a psychological disability regardless of the classes they take. We recommend that students start out with at least one of our classes since they provide additional support. Our classes are also a good foundation to help make their college experience a more positive one. The classes that are offered through Supported Education provide more than just a pathway to a certificate, but they help students to manage their symptoms and help to learn skills that will help to sustain.