- Faculty Application for Barcelona - Fall 2015, and Florence - Spring 2016
Deadline: 5 pm Thursday, September 12, 2013
Since the early 1980's SMCCD has sent faculty abroad to teach. Below is a list of participants since 2001. Feel free to contact these instructors to gain insight into the programs.
|2001||Summer||Costa Rica||Kenton Sutherland||---|
|2002||Spring||Paris||Paul F. Stegnerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|2003||Summer||Costa Rica||David Ladermanemail@example.com|
|2013||Fall||Paris||Your name here!|
|2014||Spring||Florence||Your name here!|
AIFS Faculty Webpage - Previous Study Abroad Faculty
- SMCCD is a member of the Northern California Study Abroad Consortium, a four-district alliance consisting of SRJC, Los Rios, Diablo Valley, and San Mateo districts.
- Usually 20-30 students from each college and one instructor from each college are sent abroad.
- The Consortium signs contracts, usually with the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS), who make all of the travel and field trip arrangements. They also provide 24 hour a day, 7 day a week emergency contact.
- A typical teaching assignment for full-time faculty is four classes, or about 12 units; however, full-time faculty members are compensated for a 100% load for the semester abroad because of the recruiting done prior to leaving.
- SMCCD faculty members serve as the instructor of record for District’s students enrolled in the Life and Culture class; however, this class is usually taught as a combination of guest lecturers and field trips arranged by AIFS.
- For adjunct faculty, teaching loads may be from 67% to 134% with an annualized contract. Adjunct faculty members are paid their usual hourly rate of pay.
- Live and teach abroad for 12 weeks. Travel on your own before or after the session.
- Full-time (regular) faculty members are paid their usual salary for 100% load.
Adjunct faculty are provided an annualized contract and paid at their usual hourly rate.
- Airfare is paid by AIFS.
- Faculty are provided with a maximum $3,500* housing stipend and assistance in acquiring appropriate accommodation.
- Faculty must pay all other costs, such as food, entertainment, and housing costs in excess of the housing stipend.
- Full participation on all activities scheduled on the itinerary, on the same basis as the students, including transfers, entrances, sightseeing tours, etc.
- Access to a shared office with computers with internet access.
- Museum pass.