In order to create a healthy environment for students and staff, College of San Mateo has modified its smoking policy.
- Effective Fall 2010, smoking will be restricted to parking lots only except in Socrates Lot 4.
- Students violating the new policy will be subject to citing and possible disciplinary action.
- Signs will be posted around the campus notifying students of the new policy.
- Smoking is prohibited in all indoor locations within the District
- District managers are responsible for publicizing the policy to students, employees and visitors, and are responsible for the posting of signs. Notification about the policy on smoking will be included in employee and student publications, newsletters and in other written materials as appropriate. In addition, materials which are used to publicize District public events will include policy notification to the general public.
- To assist in the implementation of this policy, the District will provide education and training in the area of smoking dangers and smoking cessation. Contact the CSM Health Center at (650) 574-6396 for more information.
- It is the responsibility of all students and employees to observe the policy and guidelines on smoking. Failure to comply with the policy on smoking will be treated in the same manner as other violations of District Rules and Regulations and may result in disciplinary action.
- It is the responsibility of College and District Office managers to enforce the policy on smoking. Disputes over the interpretation of the policy or complaints about individuals violating the policy should be brought to the attention of the person's supervisor, the Vice-President of Student Services at the College level, or the Vice-Chancellor of Human Resources and Employee Relations in the District Office. When the evidence is non-persuasive on either side, such disputes will be settled in favor of the nonsmoker(s) in recognition of the policy of the District to provide a smoke-free environment. Such disputes shall be settled at the lowest management level.
- This policy does not supersede more restrictive policies which may be in force in compliance with State or Federal regulations.
- Please go to Maps to view CSM’s parking lot locations.