College of San Mateo librarians offer one-hour orientation sessions introducing basic library and research skills. The ability to identify, analyze, and use information is fundamental to a successful career in higher education and in the workplace. Throughout their studies, students will conduct research and synthesize information. In addition to general skills, many disciplines require students to acquire specialized research skills.
- Organization of the College of San Mateo Library
- Finding Books and Online Resources Using the Online Library Catalogs
- Finding Articles Using Our Periodical Databases
- Finding Authoritative Internet Resources
- Research Strategies, Techniques, and Evaluation of Sources
- Citation Formats and Plagiarism
- Information Competency Requirement
- Include in your message:
- The date and time you would like to schedule the orientation(s) (two weeks' advance notice is preferred)
- Your phone number(s)
- Course number or program name
- Course title
- Number of students
- Any special requests
Note: Instructors are required to accompany their class. If an instructor fails to accompany their class, the orientation will be cancelled.
Orientations can be scheduled any time the library is open, and by special arrangement when the library is closed.