- Library Cards
- View Your Library Account Online
- SMS (Simple Message Service)
- Loan Periods and Renewing Materials
- Placing a Hold
- Loan Limits
- Returning Materials
- Overdue Fines
- Lost or Damaged Materials
- CSM Circulation Frequently Asked Questions
You must have a current Peninsula Library System (PLS) library card to check out materials and to access certain CSM online databases and services. Library cards are free to any California resident. You must present a photo identification and proof of current address when applying for or renewing a library card. Acceptable identification may be any of the following:
- California driver license
- California identification card
- Identification issued by the Mexican Consulate in California
- Check imprinted with name and address
- Official mail (postmarked with current date)
- Current bill imprinted with name and address (i.e., PG&E, water)
- Current SMCCCD student ID or other official documentation imprinted with name and address
Register online as a patron of your home library. You will still need to visit a PLS library to present identification and proof of current address before you receive your card with full borrowing privileges.
Distance Learning students may apply via our online form for a restricted library card that allows access to online databases and services only.
You are responsible for all items checked out to your card. Report lost or stolen library cards immediately. There is a $2 fee to issue a replacement card.
View Your Library Account Online
Login to your record to:
- Renew your checked out materials
- Place or cancel holds
- View what you have checked out and when it is due
- View which titles you have reserved and what their status is
- Pay any fines
- Update your telephone number or email address
- Change your PIN
- Change your Library Notice Preference to email
- View "My Library Account" Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Library notifications can now be sent via text message, straight to your cell phone. Your phone must be able to send a text message to an email address. Simply send the text message SIGNUP to firstname.lastname@example.org and answer a few simple questions to start this convenient service. Please Note: Text messaging charges may apply. Please contact your cell phone provider for more information.
Click here for details about this service.
Loan Periods and Renewing Materials
Most materials within our circulating collection are loaned for 21 days, and may be renewed two times if no holds are on the item. Loan period exceptions are:
|Magazines (past issues only)||7 Days||0|
|Reserves||Varied (2 hour - 3 weeks)||0|
Renew items four ways:
Online – by logging into your PLS Library Account
Visit or telephone CSM or your local library
Telephone Renewal System (TRS) – call our interactive voice messaging system at (650) 638-0399 anytime day or night
Placing a Hold
You may request an item that is checked out or owned by another PLS library and having it sent to the pickup location of your choice using the PLS online catalog. A 75 cent fee per item is charged for requesting an item to be held. However, CSM Library will waive this fee for any item that is picked up at CSM. Upon notification of availability, held items must be picked up within 10 days.
An InterLibrary Loan (ILL) request is the process for requesting an item not found using the PLS online catalog. There are no CSM ILL service charges for current SMCCCD students, faculty and staff, however other charges may apply. Read our ILL Policy for further details.
Online ILL Request Forms: Loan Limits
- Maximum of 50 total library items checked out on a card
- Maximum of 18 total media (CD/DVD/VHS) items checked out on a card
- Maximum of 10 CSM items per day (no more than 5 CSM items within one subject area per day)
You can return most borrowed materials to any of the 35 PLS libraries. Book drops are available outside all libraries so that you can return items after-hours.
Exception: All CSM Reserve Materials and Interlibrary loans must be returned to CSM Library.
Items returned after their due date/time will be subject to overdue fines. Library fines may be paid at any PLS library or online. Library fines are as follows:
|Hourly Reserves (2, 3, 16, & 24 hr)||$1.00/hour||$10.00|
|Daily Reserves (1, 3, 7, & 21 days)||$1.00/day||$10.00|
Lost or Damaged Materials
You will be charged for the replacement cost plus a $5.00 processing fee for lost or damaged library items. Please note that unresolved accounts of $35.00 or more may be referred to a collection agency and an additional fee of $10.00 will be assessed. In addition, a financial hold may be placed on your SMCCCD student account for fees associated with lost or damaged CSM Library materials.
CSM Circulation Frequently Asked Questions