Below are the steps to follow for you to apply for an F-1 student visa:
- Visit https://ceac.state.gov/genniv to submit the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160).
Print the DS-160 barcode page only and NOT the entire application.
- Schedule and pay for a visa appointment at a U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country at www.usembassy.gov. Please be aware that you may not apply for a visa until 120 days before the start date listed in item #5 of your I-20.
- Check the website of your local U.S. consulate or embassy regarding specific visa application procedures and required documentation. Typical documentation includes:
- Original I-20 issued by College of San Mateo
- Copy of SEVIS I-901 Fee Payment
- Copy of online visa application (DS-160)
- Copy of visa appointment payment
- Original valid passport (passport must be valid for at least 6 months)
- Original passport photo (color and 2x2 inches)
- Academic documents including transcripts, TOEFL or IELTS scores
- College of San Mateo’s acceptance letter
- Original financial documents such as bank statements, showing sufficient funds
to cover tuition and living expenses for one year
When you are being interviewed, answer the questions concisely and clearly.