Disabled Students Programs & Services at College of San Mateo - Student Resource Guide - Accommodations
skip directly to Main Content Navigation Search A-Z Index Find People Top Story Breadcrumbs Footer
Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSPS)

Student Resource Guide - Accommodations

What are reasonable accommodations?

Reasonable accommodations provide equal access to students with disabilities while maintaining academic integrity.  These accommodations may include:
Please note:  Accommodations will not be provided if they fundamentally alter the nature of a program, are an undue financial or administrative burden, or are of a personal nature.

Accommodations are provided on an individual basis to students. In order to promote retention and success for students, the DRC encourages dialogue between the student and faculty early each semester so that accommodations are in place.

Legal Rights of Students with Disabilities under Federal Law: A Guide for College and University Students

Read the San Mateo County Community College's Accommodations Policy

How do I set up my accommodations?

A Student Education Contract (SEC) is a plan to address specific needs of the student.  An SEC must be established upon initiation of DSP&S services and shall be reviewed and updated each semester for every student with a disability participating in the DSP&S Program.  The SEC specifies those classes, accommodations and support services identified and agreed upon by both the student and DSP&S staff as necessary to meet the student’s specific educational needs.

It is recommended that students make an appointment to meet with each instructor during office hours the first or second week of classes. Many part-time instructors may not have office hours. In this case, you should ask the instructor when might be the best time to talk with them. You might be interested in reading the following document: What to say to your instructor about your accommodations.

What are my responsibilities?

It is each student’s responsibility to:
  • Request reasonable accommodations.  Accommodations are discussed based upon your individual educational needs.
  • Provide documentation of disability.
  • Meet with staff in advance of each new semester to arrange for accommodations in a timely manner.
  • Comply with the Student Code of Conduct adopted by the college.  (See College Catalog and Schedule of Classes)
  • Make measurable progress toward the goals established in the Student Educational Contract and meet academic standards established by the college.
  • Be responsible in his/her use of DSP&S services.

All members of the CSM community share the responsibility for preserving the freedom to learn.  The college's policies and procedures are designed to safeguard this freedom.

Please refer to CSM’s College Catalog for further information on College Policies and Student Responsibilities.

Students with disabilities are responsible for contacting the Disability Resource Center if reasonable accommodations are not implemented in an effective or timely manner.  The Disability Resource Center will work with the student and other campus personnel in resolving any problems regarding accommodations.

How soon should I arrange for academic accommodations?

Students with disabilities who require accommodations should contact DSPS at least 3-4 weeks prior to the start of classes or as soon as possible thereafter.  If accommodations are not requested in a timely manner, services may be delayed or unavailable.

Please note: Accommodations must be arranged each semester. Meet with the counselor in DSPS at the beginning of each semester.

How do I schedule test accommodations?

Students begin the process of requesting accommodations through Disabled Students Programs & Services. Students will schedule an appointment to meet with the DSPS Counselor to complete a program intake, plan coursework, discuss the accommodations that will address the specific functional limitations of the students’ disability or disabilities, and/or be referred on to other branches of the DSPS program.

After specific classroom accommodations have been approved, you will receive a letter outlining the accommodations you are eligible for - Notification of Student Eligibility for Accommodations. It is recommended that students make an appointment to meet with each instructor during office hours the first or second week of classes to review the Notification of Student Eligibility for Accommodations. If the instructor does not have posted office hours, arrange for a time to speak privately with the instructor.

Does the college provide personal attendant care?

Personal attendant care (including mobility assistance to and from classes) is NOT provided by the College or DSPS according to Section 504, AB 803 and Title V Regulations. In addition, the Adapted P.E. program does not provide assistance with dressing or undressing for classes. An otherwise qualified student who requires attendant care services must make arrangements to provide his/her own attendant care service. DSPS will provide students with assistance in posting notices for attendants with the Student Employment Office. Students are also encouraged to work with their Rehabilitation Counselor to secure attendant care . The student and attendant will sign a Personal Care Attendant Agreement Form, available on the DSPS website, which must be submitted to DSPS by the first day of instruction.

How do I get a Temporary Parking Permit?

To qualify for a Temporary CSM Parking Permit issued by DSPS, you must provide DSPS with documentation of a disability that temporarily limits your mobility. DSPS will issue you a Temporary CSM Parking Permit that will allow you to park in a designated area closer to your classes for one week at a time.  Spaces are not guaranteed and permits are not intended to replace a student parking permit or disabled placard.

Where can I park if I have California State Issued Disabled Placard?

If you have a state issued placard, you are authorized to park in any designated disabled parking spaces and any spaces in our metered lots (visitor parking).  You do not need a college parking permit to park in those spaces.


Student Resource Guide Main Page