Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSPS) at College of San Mateo - Frequently Asked Questions by Students
skip directly to Main Content Navigation Search A-Z Index Find People Top Story Breadcrumbs Footer
Presidents Day Holiday Weekend
No classes February 12-15
Flex Days
No classes March 3 & 4
Spring Recess
March 28 - April 2
Sexual Misconduct & Title IX
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • YouTube
  • Linkedin
Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSPS)

Woman at desk being asked questionsFrequently Asked Questions by Students

Q. If I am registered as a Disabled Student, will that show up on my transcripts?

A. No. There will be no mention of your disability on any school records.

Q. Am I required to register with the Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSP&S) just because I have a disability?

A. No. The only time you are required to register with DSP&S is if you are requesting a service or services from the Disability Resource Center.

Q. How can I apply for DSP&S services?

A. Please contact the Disability Resource Center (DRC) at 574-6438 and make an appointment to see our counselor.

Q. What kinds of services does the DRC provide?

A. The services we provide depend upon the nature and severity of each individual's disability.  Services may include:

  • counseling
  • priority registration
  • special parking
  • interpreters/captioners for the hearing impaired
  • learning disabilities assessment
  • adapted physical education
  • assistive computer technology training
  • instructional materials in alternate formats
  • TTY access
  • test taking accommodations (extended time, distraction-reduce setting)
  • note taking assistance

To find out what kinds of services you may qualify for, please call the DRC and make an appointment for an intake interview.

Q. What is matriculation?

A. Every student should have an educational goal, a reason for going to college. Matriculation is the process that allows the college and you to form a partnership which helps you attain that goal. We ask you to commit yourself to an educational objective and we will commit ourselves in assisting you to succeed.  A counselor is available to help you develop a Student Education Plan (S.E.P.) for your course of study and a Student Education Contract (S.E.C.) for your accomodations.

Q. Do I always have to see a DRC Counselor for an update before registering for the next semester?

A. In order to be eligible for Priority Registration, you should meet with your DRC Counselor to review your academic status, update your S.E.P and S.E.C. and discuss any individual needs.

Q. Are special parking arrangements available?

A. If you have a temporary mobility impairment, you may be eligible for a Temporary Special Parking Permit.  Come to the DRC and arrange to see a Counselor. Be sure to bring your regular parking permit number.

Q. Where can I park on campus if I have a DMV placard?

A. If you have a state issued placard, you are authorized to park in any designated disabled parking spaces and any spaces in our metered lots (visitor parking).  You do not need a college parking permit to park in those spaces.

Q. What should I do if I think I have a learning disability?

A. First, make an appointment to see a counselor in the DRC to discuss your concerns. The Counselor will most likely want to explore your academic and medical history. If the Counselor feels there is the possibility of a learning disability, you will be given a referral for further assessment.

Q. What are the hours of DSP&S?

A. During the Fall and Spring semesters, DSP&S is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Thursday and 8:00 am to 12:00 pm Fridays. Please call 574-6438 for hours during semester breaks or Summer.