The Academic Senate has been established in accordance with Education Code Section 70902(b)(7), which calls on the Board of Governors to enact regulations to ensure the right of faculty, as well as staff and students, to participate effectively in district and college governance. It further ensures the right of Academic Senates to assume primary responsibility for "making recommendations in the areas of curriculum and academic standards."
The Academic Senate shall make recommendations regarding academic and professional matters to the District Academic Senate, the College and District administration, the Board of Trustees, and to other appropriate individuals and bodies.
Academic and professional matters as defined in Title 5, Section 53200, include the following policy development matters:
- Curriculum, including establishing prerequisite
- Degree and certificate requirements
- Grading policies
- Educational program development
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success
- College governance structures as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles and involvement in accreditation processes
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Processes for program review
- Processes for instructional planning and budget development
- Other academic and professional matters as mutually agreed upon
Rely primarily upon the advice and judgment of the academic senate, OR
The governing board, or it designees, and the academic senate shall reach mutual agreement by written resolution, or policy of the governing board effectuating such recommendations.